Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Yogi Come Lately? A New Wednesday Segment

There are parallels between Knitting and Yoga in my life. For one, I learned about both long before I made a commitment to either. And, once I made a commitment to learning, I have stayed with it even when it has been really frustrating, painful, confusing, heart-wrenching, etc.

Case in point: New Year's Day Yoga Renewal Workshop 2008 I arrive, after most people have already claimed their spot on the floor with their lovely purple, green, and blue sticky mats. I am by the door, which is good since I was not wanting to feel trapped in the room. I sit on my mat, cross-legged, then I try to sit in child's pose and it seems to feel okay. Other people in the room have blankets and blocks. I look around and think, what is that for? Then I notice that people are placing the blocks under their tushes to make child's pose more comfortable. I made a mental note, next class get blanket and blocks. As the class began, I made it through table pose, cow pose, cat pose, but downward facing dog really hurt my wrists. So, I went to child's pose and focused on my breathing. It was all good. Until I felt a tap go into the well of pain that normally rests uncomfortably just below my throat. The tears were coming and were not going to stop. A part of me felt heard and aware like never before. It was amazing. My mind, my body and my spirit were getting to know one another. Granted, it isn't happening quickly. Just in glimpses, like looking at the sun a little bit at a time the connections will happen.
Sometimes introducing a new element into our lives, will ellicit old elements and make them new again.

How does this relate to knitting? I was probably six years old the first time I picked up a pair of knitting needles. My maternal grandmother taught me casting on, but I could only figure out how to do it when she was sitting there. I never got to just knit or just purl. So I gave up. I picked up crochet and cross-stitch and other such crafts.

Over the years, I have picked up the needles and tried. But I did so expecting perfection and did not get perfection. So I gave up.

A couple of years ago, I decided that I was going to knit no matter what. I was going to try and try until it worked for me. It's just sticks and string, I told myself. Not intimidating. It can't hurt me, only I can do that. I found the way, with the help of library books and the internet...oh, and Knitty Gritty.

2 comments:

  1. I know exactly what you mean! I love yoga for the same reason and I am always amazed at myself with the discoveries as I progress.

    Keep up the hard work with both activities. They will pay off in ways you cannot even imagine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good. You deserve wonderfulness in all things.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting on my blog!

Please be sure to register an email address when you leave your comment so I can respond to your comment (which I love to do).

Happy knitting.