Saturday, November 17, 2007

Sock It To Me Twice Swap Questionnaire - Updated

I am so excited to be participating in my first swap! I have already heard from my secret pal (you are amazing) and look forward to spoiling mine.

I went yarn shopping yesterday and had maybe too much fun -- maybe. My spoilee has similar taste so I am very pleased to have chosen fun stuff for her. Photos to follow.


The Questions


1. How long have you been knitting? Do you consider yourself beginner, intermediate, advanced?

I think of myself as an advanced beginner. I struggle a bit with new techniques but I love to try them. I learned to crochet when I was very young (like 6) and picked it up quickly. Knitting came more slowly for me. I've only really been officially knitting for three years.

2. How long have you been knitting socks?

Less than a year, I've only ever done toe-up: magic cast-on and shortrows.

3. What are your favorite fibers to work with?

Merino, cotton blends, superwash wool, bamboo...I'm adventuresome as long as the fiber is really soft.

4. What is your favorite color?

I adore jewel colors, but also like the hand-dyed look. I love pink too.

5. What are your current WIPs (works in progress)?

Mittens for Karen, Sonnet from Knitty for me, Socks for my SITM Twice pal, socks for mom from wool she bought in Norway...

6. Name your favorite yarns, (brand, fibers, colors, etc.).

Claudia handpaint, I saw on Etsy a Muppet themed hand-dye...omg, those are cute. Yarning Yenta is the shop on Etsy. Kermit and Gonzo and Rolf are my favorite muppets. I'll have to look that up and link it later. I really liked working with Austermann Steppe but I think that the wool would be too allergenic for my delicate feet (ha ha ha). I am newly into yellows and browns and oranges, I really like the self-patterning (my next feat is to make matching socks, rather than fraternal twins).

I'm dying to try Bamboo and some of the fibers in No Sheep For You.

7. What are some yarns/fibers that you stay away from.

Some acrylic is okay, really, but I'm a little picky (aren't we all a little picky?) I don't really like anything with too much "tooth" and since I find myself frogging I tend to stay away from mohair (which really is itchy to me, so sad).

8. What is your family situation? (Married, kids, pets?)

My partner and I have been together for 11 years, married for 9. The "kids" are a dog and (wait for it...) three cats (Ruthie, Idgie, George).

9. Name some of your hobbies.

Knitting, of course. Ravelry. Quilting. Crafting in general. Painting. Shopping online then not buying anything -- and sometimes buying stuff (ha ha ha).

Riding my bike, learning about new ideas...long walks on the beach...just kidding.

10. Name some of your favorite movies?

Fried Green Tomatoes, I'll post more movies later...

11. Do you like to read? I really like reading.

12. Do you collect anything? I try not to anymore. Unless you count yarn and craft supplies (ha ha ha).

13. Do you own an iPod or mp3 player? MP3. I love music.

I am averse to iTunes, too many hours of frustration (and I'm pretty good with technical things).

14. What are your favorite type of knitting needles?

I love my Addi Turbos. I have two in a size 1, 24" to make socks. I just bought myself a 60" one yesterday when I was shopping for my secret SITM pal.

I have Denise needles, but they come apart at inopportune times and don't feel as luxurious as my Addis do. I have bamboo dpns that I like to use on occasion. I also have various other straights.

15. What knitting notion could you not live without?

Tape measure, gauge ruler, row counter. My triumvirate of knitting direction.

16. Who are some of your favorite designers?

I don't really know. I like the books that Barbara Walker edited. Amy Singer's No Sheep for You has cute stuff in it. I always seem to change a pattern as I go.

17. Do you subscribe to any magazines? (Knitting or otherwise.)

Money, The Advocate, I love Interweave but don't subscribe to it.

18. When is your birthday?

May 23rd

19. Do you have a "wishlist", (on Ravelry, Froogle, or Amazon)?

I have one on amazon, lots of knitting books and CDs it seems. I didn't realize Ravelry had that feature...you would think that I'd spent no time on there.

Also have on at the Loopy Ewe (love this shop, but I've never purchased from there).

20. Do you have a Ravelry ID? CynicalKnitter

21. If you had a sheep, what would you name it? Fern. I don't know why.

2 comments:

  1. When I have my farm someday I will name a sheep Fern and it can be yours. Especially if you come visit it. :) I would also name a sheep after you if that's okay because it would be so fun to call the sheep home "Come, Fern! Come, Cynical Knitting Gal! Come, Sheeps!"

    Or maybe it's only cows that you call that way. Well, if I only have cows I'll still name one Fern and we can pretend it's a sheep. Sort of- no shearing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey
    im loving no 9!!! i love to online shop and then not purchase too!! it fulflls my shopping need without the need to spend cash!! when i do purchase its normally wool!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting on my blog!

Please be sure to register an email address when you leave your comment so I can respond to your comment (which I love to do).

Happy knitting.